Former students – please see our alumni section, found under the 'Life at School' tab for details on how to stay in touch.
Church of England Guarantee
Ark St Alban's Academy as a Church of England school
- Ark St Alban’s Academy is a Church of England school in the Diocese of Birmingham.
- As such, it is bound to follow directives issued by the Diocesan Board of Education under the authority of the Bishop of Birmingham.
- These directives are summarised in the document “Birmingham Church of England Guarantee” Birmingham-Church-of-England-Guarantee(2014).pdf
- In light of this document, the Academy endeavours:
- to instil in its students a “distinctive appreciation of time, that there is more to life than busyness, which should be put aside for prayer at least once a day”;
- to offer “high quality Collective Worship which is engaging, inspiring and transformational” in recognition and appreciation of the rich cultural diversity of our students.
- to offer opportunities to students “to contribute to worship”;
- to offer to students spaces dedicated exclusively to prayer, inside the school building (Prayer Room) and in the local parish church;
- to highlight the “rhythm of the Christian calendar”;
- to stress the distinctively inclusive “Christian ethos” of the school;
- Stressing a distinctively inclusive Christian ethos of this Academy means:
- encouraging and challenging staff and students to grow in their own faith or belief;
- celebrating the diversity of its student population in its ethnic, cultural and religious composition;
- affirming that every child matters to God especially the most vulnerable;
- cultivating students’ spirituality to encompass a sense of wonder and of mystery and a moral sense of right and wrong;
- promoting prayer and/or meditation among staff and students.
“St Alban’s Academy successfully encourages students to live by faith, developing mutual respect and thus forming a bridge between cultures.” (SIAS Report – December 2011)