Please take the time to read our latest newsletter which can found here:
Year 11 Taster Day for Sixth Form - advance information. We are inviting all prospective students in Y11 that have applied and been interviewed to try out our subjects with our teachers here at the academy on the morning of Thursday 29th June. Get to know more about your future sixth form! Details will follow. Please keep this date free. Ramadan Mubarak to all those observing Ramadan.
The History Department aims to equip all students with the skills to make judgements about the past as well as the ability to apply these to current world affairs. We want all students to leave with a well-rounded rounded knowledge of important people and events spanning a variety of historical contexts. Students will encounter a variety of cultures and time-periods, allowing students to explore and better understand the world and country that we live in today.
KEY STAGE 3
- Half Term 1: Mystery of the Skeletons: what do historians do?
- Half Term 2: Battle of Hastings and the Norman Invasion
- Half Term 3: Power in Medieval Britain: who ruled Britain?
- Half Term 4: The Crusades: why did people fight for their beliefs?
- Half Term 5: Life in Medieval England
- Half Term 6: Black Death and Peasants’ Revolt: how did things change by the late medieval period?
- Half Term 1: Tudor Religion
- Half Term 2: The English Civil War
- Half Term 3: The Industrial Revolution: why?
- Half Term 4: The Industrial Revolution and its effects on Birmingham
- Half Term 5: British Empire: should we be proud?
- Half Term 6: The Slave Trade.
- Half Term 1: Edwardian Britain
- Half Term 2: World War One
- Half Term 3: The Inter-War Period
- Half Term 4: World War Two
- Half Term 5: The Holocaust
- Half Term 6: USA in the 1920s / begin GCSE course: the Cold War
KEY STAGE 4
YEAR 10 – Edexcel History: modern world A
- Half Term 1: The origins of the Cold War
- Half Term 2: The nature of the Cold War
- Half Term 3: War and the Transformation of Britain
- Half Term 4: War and the Transformation of Britain
- Half Term 5: Civil Rights in America
- Half Term 6: Civil Rights in America: Controlled Assessment Part A
- Half Term 1: Civil Rights in America: Controlled Assessment Parts B and C
- Half Term 2: Germany and the rise of Hitler
- Half Term 3: Germany and the rise of Hitler
- Half Term 4: Revision
- Half Term 5: Revision
YEAR 12 - edexcel
- Half Term 1: Communist states in the 20th Century
- Half Term 2: Focus – Russia 1917 - 1991
- Half Term 3: Why did the soviet union collapse in 1991?
- Half Term 4 – 5 : Communist states in the 20th century. Focus – China 1949
- Half Term 6: Independent project
- Half Term 1- 2 : Independent project
- Half Term 3 – 4 : The Tudors and revision
- See more at: http://arkstalbans.org/history-0#sthash.DJ0SUtJo.dpuf