Sixth Form Open Evening
All interested students are welcome to join us for our Sixth Form Open Evening.
Tuesday 17th October, 5-7pm.
Tutoring & the house system
Our tutoring and pastoral care system is designed to promote the engineering learning model:
- Students are organised in mixed ability tutor groups and in three houses, to which all staff also belong. Students agree the house motto, logo, leadership structure and positions of responsibility.
- Assemblies are led by student leaders as well as by adults.
- Attendance prizes, rewards and sanctions are aggregated towards house totals and there are real rewards for meeting targets and modelling professional learning behaviour.
- Tutor group and house activities promote community engagement, charitable giving and fund raising, awareness of career opportunities and work related activities.
By structuring our engineering learning community in this way we aim to:
- develop team working skills, collaborative learning and a sense of shared enterprise and joint endeavour
- provide opportunities for peer tutoring
- nurture and exploit positive role models
- provide stimulating and nurturing contexts for the development of oracy and public speaking and additional opportunities to develop literacy and numeracy
- support social and emotional aspects of learning
- provide positions of responsibility for students
- stimulate competition and raise motivation