Former students – please see our alumni section, found under the 'Life at School' tab for details on how to stay in touch.
St Alban’s Academy celebrates GCSE achievement
Students at the outstanding St Alban’s Academy are celebrating impressive gains in GCSE performance and preparing for the academy’s new Sixth Form, opening in September.
- 56% of students achieved at least 5 A*-C grades including English and mathematics (2012, 51%) an improvement of 5 percentage points since 2012 and up 25 percentage points since St Albans became an ARK academy in 2009.
- 19% of students achieved the English Baccalaureate standard of grades A* - C in English, mathematics, a modern language, sciences and history or geography (2012, 0%)
- 60% of students achieved grade A* - C in English (up from 53% in 2012, and from 34% in 2009)
- 82 % of students achieved grade A* - C in mathematics (83% in 2012, up from 51% in 2009)
- In 2012 St Alban’s had the highest Value Added score in mathematics for disadvantaged pupils (those on pupil premium) in the country, the second highest mathematics value added score in the country for all pupils and the fifth highest in the country for those who had started year 7 with previously low attainment. Early indications suggest similarly strong performance this year.
|Year||% achieving 5+ GCSEs at A* - C inc English and mathematics|
|2009 (predecessor school)||31%|
St Alban’s Academy principal David Gould said:
“I’d like to congratulate our students on their achievements - and to thank all our staff for their dedication and commitment. In the four years since St Alban’s became an academy we have accelerated GCSE attainment and achieved an average annual increase of 6.25 percentage points per year.
“Our mathematics department have sustained their exceptional performance this year, whilst our English department have made an impressive gain of 7 percentage points. Success in these core subjects is vital to our students’ life chances. We look forward to welcoming many of them back into our new Sixth Form, which opens this year.
Among the outstanding performances this summer were
- Miski Hussein, who got 10 A* Grades and 3 A grades at GCSE, and an A in AS Level Spanish
- Nisar Shah, who got 1 A* and 8 A grades at GCSE
- Guleed Cabdille, who got 1 A* and 4 A grades at GCSE amongst 12 GCSE passes at C or above
- Nazeya Yafai, who achieved the level 2 threshold of 5A*-C including English and Mathematics. Nazeya joined the academy in 2007 with no English
- Ismaael Lone, who achieved 13 GCSEs including B grades in both English and Mathematics. Ismaael joined the academy in 2011 having been excluded from other schools in the city.
Mr Gould added: ”This year’s exceptional performance is a further step towards our goal of ensuring St Alban’s Academy is a school that fully prepares our young people for entrance to university and higher education and to go on to successful careers.”
A copy of the full press release can be found here.